POST TREATMENT CARE
- SILK Soothing Gel must be applied for 3 days post laser treatment AM and PM in place of any other moisturizer.
- SPF must be applied to all treatment areas and sun exposure must be avoided at all times.
- If the area is feeling hot directly after the treatment this can be treated by either using the SILK Soothing Gel or a covered ice pack for small intervals.
- Commence the use of your recommended home care products no sooner than 3days post treatment, for any products containing Vitamin A please wait for 7days.
- Do not exfoliate or scrub the treatment area for at least two weeks after the treatment, at this stage it is recommended to have a Microhydrabrasion treatment.
- Avoid excessive physical activity, hot showers, pools, spas and saunas for up to 7days post treatment.
- For facial treatments, SILK recommends the use of Colourscience Mineral makeup which can be applied directly after the treatment to calm and conceal the area if needed.
COMMON SHORT TERM SIDE EFFECTS:
Throughout the treatment your technician will monitor your skin’s response, below are some indications that are normal and can be a sign of an effective treatment. Please note that these indications can be visible on the treatment area throughout the healing process, should they extend pass 7days post treatment please contact your clinic.
- Erythema, or redness, to the treatment area which will feel very similar to sunburn.
- Localized swelling of the treatment area.
- The pigmentation will continue to deepen in colour for up to 48hours post treatment, this will then crust and flake away which can take up to two weeks depending on the condition of the skin.
POSSIBLE ADVERSE REACTIONS:
In most cases, if you follow our recommended guidelines, potential adverse reactions can be avoided. However below are some of the common reactions that can occur:
- Hyperpigmentation (darkening) or Hypopigmentation (lightening) of the skin in the treated area.
- Herpes Simplex virus activation.
- Increase in oil or a pustule breakout.
- Histamine reaction for allergy sufferers, an antihistamine can be taken 1 hour prior to treatment.
- In very rare cases blistering.
- Purpura or slight bruising can occur generally when a vascular condition is present or when blood thinners, i.e. Aspirin, Warfarin, Vitamin E, Fish or Krill Oil are taken regularly.
- Development of infection that, in very rare cases, can lead to scarring.
It is essential to follow to pre & post treatment instructions to minimize the risk of an adverse reaction.
If you have an adverse reaction please contact the clinic immediately to ensure the correct steps are taken to treat the area.
Should you have any concerns throughout your treatment plan please speak with your SILK Laser Technician.