When preparing to undergo dermal peel treatments it is important to remember that:
- All clients must have a consultation prior to treatment to ensure they are a suitable candidate for dermal peel treatments.
- The effectiveness of the treatment will be determined by your skin type, the condition of your skin and the specific skin concern being treated.
- A number of our dermal peels require you to prepare your skin for 2 weeks prior to treatment with cosmeceutical skincare prescribed by your technician.
HOW TO MAINTAIN YOUR RESULTS
Maintenance is the key to long lasting results at SILK. It is important to be using your prescribed cosmeceutical homecare to ensure longevity from your dermal peel treatments.
To ensure lasting results:
- Attend your review appointment at the completion of your recommended treatment plan, so your technician can assess your results and discuss your maintenance plan.
- Incorporate sunscreen into your skincare routine. Sunscreen is critical in the prevention and reformation of pigmentation, so ensure that you apply liberally and regularly to the treatment area plus any surrounding areas.
- Follow your prescribed at-home skin care routine. Using your prescribed home care will also ensure that your skin remains healthy and strong preventing the reoccurrence of pigmentation and other skin concerns.
POST TREATMENT CARE
- O Cosmedics Rescue Balm must be applied for a minimum of 3 days post treatment.
- Sunscreen must be applied to all treatment areas and sun exposure must be avoided at all times. Reapplication of sunscreen every 2 hours is important.
- Commence the use of your prescribed home care products no sooner than 3 days post treatment. Exclude any products containing Vitamin A for 7 days.
- Do not exfoliate or scrub the treatment area for at least one week after the treatment.
- Avoid excessive physical activity, hot showers, pools, spas and saunas for 24 hours post treatment.
- For facial treatments, SILK recommends the use of Colorescience Mineral makeup which can be applied directly after the treatment to calm and conceal the area if needed.
COMMON SHORT TERM SIDE EFFECTS:
Throughout the treatment your technician will monitor your skin’s response. Below are some indications that are normal and can be a sign of an effective treatment. Please note that these indications can be visible on the treatment area and throughout the healing process, however should they extend pass 7 days post treatment please contact your clinic.
- Erythema, or redness, to the treatment area which will feel very similar to sunburn.
- Localized swelling of the treatment area.
- Depending on the depth of the peel used, skin may begin shedding within 48 hours post treatment and continue for up to 10 days.
POSSIBLE ADVERSE REACTIONS:
In most cases, if you follow our recommended guidelines, potential adverse reactions can be avoided. However below are some of the common reactions that can occur:
- Hyperpigmentation (darkening) or Hypopigmentation (lightening) of the skin in the treated area.
- Herpes Simplex virus activation.
- Increase in oil or a pustule breakout.
In very rare cases:
- Development of infection that, in very rare cases, can lead to scarring.
It is essential to follow to pre & post treatment instructions to minimize the risk of an adverse reaction.
If you have an adverse reaction, please contact your clinic immediately to receive advice on the appropriate action to take.
Should you have any concerns throughout your treatment plan, please speak with your SILK Laser Technician.
PRE TREATMENT CARE
- Do not wax, or laser the treatment area for at least 2 weeks prior to treatment.
- Sunscreen must be worn and reapplied at all times, and sun exposure limited where possible.
- Ensure any fake tan, body moisturiser, makeup, deodorants and perfumes have been thoroughly removed as these can impact your results.
Where advised, prepare your skin using the recommended products a minimum of 2 weeks prior to your treatment